Saturday, August 10, 2013

8.1 Reflection - Summation and Closure


My overall experience with this course opened my eyes to many tools I did not know existed, that many teachers are already using and that appear to be fun for students to use which could make learning a lot more fun. I struggled with some of the tools or maybe it was the deadlines I needed to meet and my inexperience with those tools that frustrated because I felt dumb! I think we could have fun with students collaborating on creating a lesson on how to use different tools with examples that allows them to express themselves.

As referenced in Standard A, I now know and understand the instructional delivery continuum, and that I was teaching a blended course prior to taking this online course and excited to take it to an online course. I learned new laws, techniques, skills, and vocabulary this summer and I’m sure there is more to come as I take on this online teaching venture. I believe I am more aware of the needs that online learning can meet whereas before I was just making the curriculum conveniently available. I now know students will walk away having had a great learning experience, bonding with peers and teacher while being held accountable for production to those same people also referenced in standard A; the online teacher knows and understands the role of online learning in preparing students for the global community they live in, both now and the future.

I will focus my area of growth in Standard B learning multiple online Web 2.0 tools and mastering those that work well with the grade level I teach to develop communication, productivity, collaboration, analysis, presentation, research, and content delivery. One I have mastered these tools I will have a stronger ability to implement online pedagogy. I look forward to be able to select quickly tools that meet the needs of our curriculum content while also addressing the different learning styles of students as well as specials needs students. I would currently rank myself as a novice in this area and would need to seek out support and direction should a challenge come up within a tool or tool type if we are not enabling student success.

This will be the first time I have taught in a manner that focuses on student collaboration as referred to in Standard C. Small group activities in a year are minimal in my past courses and will increase to every two to three weeks. My focus will be to know and understand the process for facilitating and monitoring online instruction groups that are goal oriented, focused, project-based, and inquiry-oriented to promote learning through group interaction.

My time management and good organization skills will help me with Standard D; providing prompt feedback, communicate high expectations, and respecting diverse talents and learning styles. Students today have very little patience and want to know their results immediately, and I like the material to be fresh on their minds so correction is easy for them to assimilate. These same skills allow me to have strong communication skills with parents as well which is addressed in Standard J; concerning student learning. Parents like to hear of students successes and challenges and I like to know that they are talking at home, possibly from a prompt I have given a parent to make sure we keep a student on task.

I am able to identify and intervene in incidents of academic dishonesty as referenced in Standard E, and feel the online web 2.0 tools actually help eliminate students cheating from each other, as most students don’t know when something was taken from them, but we will need to develop a short lesson on how copyright laws are created for a reason.

Standard F addresses ability to meet student academic needs and use of accommodations into the online environment.  I now understand the importance of formatting documents consistently for accessibility, something all of our schools have not focused on for written direction in our online course, and I will improve screen casting techniques and use accessibility guidelines learned in this course.

I feel I am proficient with using and creating online assessments, implementing the scramble feature as well as timing their assessment has eliminated the ability of neighbors to cheat. This is addressed in Standard G.

I believe one of my strengths to be within Standard H and my ability to apply authentic assessments as part of the evaluation process, assess student knowledge in a forum beyond traditional assessments, and monitor academic integrity with assessments. But after taking this course we will be taking our minimal group activities and peer reviews to the next level and assess students in groups using their ability to think cognitively, confidently in an online environment where they each feel their efforts have benefited their peers and they have benefited from their peers.

My other strength is adjusting our curriculum content regularly based on student, parent and teacher input and feedback as directed in Standard I. We have done this with surveys which give me the numbers and comments to back up changes I may recommend, that when done with pencil in hand responses were limited and vague making their outcome useless. However, I am looking forward to the polls and surveys we are going to use in our new Haiku course which assesses opinion more often than we have in the past. I believe this creates ownership for students as well knowing that their input is valued. I am currently working on finding a free program we can use for students to assess their online course readiness that I discovered in our lessons.

We are currently designing our course in Haiku using many of the skills and techniques we have learned in this course. The four teachers involved in this process are collaborating to arrange media and content to help transfer knowledge most effectively in the online environment as identified in Standard K. We are making each section consistent so students know what to expect and making sure we have media in same stages of learning as well as location of information on the pages.

My plans to master my areas of growth will be through time management, and dedicating time to learn a number of web 2.0 tools weekly, incorporate them into the content with a focus on group work. My fellow teachers who are creating our course will also meet monthly  face-to-face and regularly online to discuss what tools we have learned and changes we would like to see based on our results at all four high school sites. I will also look for a periodical that will help keep me up to date with online teaching as it grows and develops so we stay on the cutting edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment